I purchased some Babyland 5-layer charcoal bamboo inserts (CBI for short) from one of my regular co-oping groups. After having a few leaking issues with just microfiber inserts I figured it was time to change things up. I've tried the blended inserts from Sunbaby however I just wasn't that impressed by them. They didn't seem to hold much for the cost and description that came with them.
I'm on day 5 of my CBI inserts and I LOVE them!! I double them at night and always get 12+ ours of sleep from them and during the day Ava gets probably 5 hours with just one insert at 6 months old. I usually change her sooner than 5 hours but it is helpful if we are out shopping or socializing not to have to stop every 3 hours and change a diaper due to having a heavy wetter. They also fit wonderfully in all my diaper brands (i.e. Sunbaby, Charlie Banana, Happy Flute, Flip, Weegro)
* They don't stain as much as the white microfiber inserts do
* You can put them directly on skin so you can use them in covers as well.
* The insert is 2 layers of 100% bamboo charcoal and 3 layers of 100% microfiber inside which is suppose to make them 5 times more absorbent.
* Charcoal bamboo is naturally antibacterial.
The other plus is that they are easy to prep but you will realize how much liquid they absorb while prepping. I prepped mine the following way:
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil
2. After water is at a boil place as many inserts that you can into the pot (Be careful cause it will bubble and boil over if you put to many)
3. Boil for 20 minutes and then careful remove the inserts and let them cool down (They retain heat for a good 20 minutes)
4. Wash inserts like you usually would with detergent on hot/cold
5. Rinse inserts and extra 4 times on a cold rinse
6. Dry inserts either by line drying or in dryer (I am a fan of line drying however these take FOREVER to dry due to being so absorbent)
7. Stuff your fluff! You are good to go!
I always do an extra rinse before washing soiled inserts and diapers after using them. And on a super exciting note I should be getting some new fluff this week to try out and review! I'm stalking the mail lady!